Monday 11 February 2013

So you want to hire a graphic designer?

Kaboom! It's a minefield – where on earth would you begin to find a graphic designer? You may well have typed 'graphic designer' into the Google search engine and Kapow! several million matches. You may try to narrow the field by adding a location but still the matches are endless. Maybe the type of project you're interested in having designed – again the matches don't necessarily help you out. So you look at the first 10, 20 pages. You venture to click on some of the links, perhaps it was the name of the website that intrigued you, but you click further through and you're left even more confused.

So it's not going to be a big surprise when I say that the best way to find a good graphic designer is by word-of mouth – a recommendation from someone you know and trust or to look at businesses whose design you like and try to find out who helped them with their design.

Then when you have a name or two, have a look at their websites. A good portfolio of work will put your mind at ease, but remember, good design is original and you shouldn't expect to see a finished version of your project. You want to get a feeling that they would work well with you towards a solution that would suit you.

I daresay the people who click into Helix Design at first are confused as to what to expect from a design consultancy. This is where I think tone is important. The best result I can hope for when someone stumbles across Helix on the web is that they feel they can call or at least email me. A conversation is the first best way of testing whether a designer and client can connect and communicate, to feel there is an easy understanding and that instruction is well perceived.

I'd also want to be prepared with a few questions.

I would be interested in asking about their process. Does the design just happen, do I get to choose from designs that are presented on the journey through a process or do I only get what I'm given?

How in control of the process am I? – if I don't like what is presented to me will the designer come back with some new alternatives? And if, as a client I continue to be unhappy, is there a clear way of cancelling the project?

Is the designer able to translate any finished design into different media? – Be it online or in print, different environments mean that any original design has to be conceived in different scales.

As you can see, there will be a lot to talk about. And a good designer will guide you through the different stages carefully, keeping you informed throughout the process while keeping the project fun, as a design project should always be. A creative journey for both designer and client alike.

If you're thinking of hiring a designer please feel free to give me a call or email me via our website: www.helix-design.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment